Sunday, March 29, 2009

More about Access Akron

Access Inc, Akron is made up of both employees and volunteers. The woman whom I contacted is employed with Access Inc and her job is to recruit volunteers. Their staff is made up of an executive director, operations manager, volunteer coordinator, book keeper, case manager, child advocate, care clinic liaison and two team leaders. There is also a board of trustees and board members. And lets not forget the volunteers. Volunteers do anything from watching the children while the women are out either at food banks or getting clothing from one of the other organizations around. They can also assist with cooking classes, front desk help and basically anywhere the staff needs help.

I would say the staff does more of the hands on day to day work concerning the organization. The time I have been there I haven't heard much about the board of trustees. My guess would be that the board of trustees oversees more of the broad interactions between Access Inc and other organizations like United Way and other affiliations.

I did notice that everyone on staff and the board are women.


Access Inc is an organization set out to assist homeless women and their children in the Akron area. They then give these women and their children a place to stay while helping to rebuild self-esteem and self-sufficiency. They offer a 24 hour emergency shelter, food, supportive services, parenting and children's programs as well.

This shelter is not only open to women who have been abused but also to any women who is unemployed, in between moving or just going through a tough time and needs a place to stay short term while she gets back on her feet.
I think their goals are similar to a lot of organizations out there. They aim to help women and assist them to better their lives be it helping them fill out forms for goverment aid or showing them how to dress for and get a job.

They main target of Access is women 18 and up who are homeless with on where to go, 'reality oriented, drug free, not physically battered'.

I think this is a very great organization. It is also very secure and has a all female staff. Volunteers can be males though. That is something I do understand but will try to find out more about later. The building is marked but does not give a hint as to what is in it. I actually drove past it several times the first day I volunteered. Before you are allowed into the building, you must be buzzed in and they can view the person at the door also. Men, unless you are the mail man or with one of the organizations that supply food, are not allowed into the building.

I think they do pretty good job protecting the women inside. I'll be officially starting training shortly but have worked, so far, in the day care which...lets just say I'd rather be place else where :)

I will continue to update this as I work more with the organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment